Sunday, November 8, 2009

First Post!

So after struggling to keep in touch with all family and friends while starting this career and failing admirably, I've decided to start a blog. I hope that everyone will leave comments so I know what you're all up to, and I will try to post every couple of days with updates in my life.

As of now, here's what's happening:

-finished at Roosevelt with my Master of Music degree in May of 2009

-spent a wonderful summer at Bay View Music Festival performing the role of Susanna in Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro. While at Bay View, I also met my current beau, Jon, who was performing the role of the Count. In the opera, his character pursues me while mine evades him, so we now joke that the Count finally got Susanna!

-I'm now living in an apartment with 4 other musicians: Kyra the cellist, Kevin the pianist, Aleida the violist, and Jonathan the violinist. It is crazy but a lot of fun to live with all your close friends.

-I'm working several jobs: as a hostess, a bartender, a babysitter, and a singer (who knew?). My 'day jobs' are necessary to pay the rent, and occasionally fun and rewarding.

-The same goes for the singing....choir gigs and teaching are fine, but I'm really hoping to make it as an opera singer...which means many many auditions and rejections. I've learned that you only need a couple of directors and conductors to really like you in order to make it, so I'm just trying to find the few that do! I think they're out there, and am trying to enjoy the process of finding my voice and my place in the opera world.

I have to run to rehearsal now, but hope to write more later today.

~Sammi

No comments:

Post a Comment