Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Rejection Is....

Difficult. But a fact of life in this business.

Over the last week I've gotten about 4 rejections. 1 I was not surprised about, but 3 were for programs that I honestly thought I had a good chance at getting.

And my new job has taken off and made me QUITE busy. But I'm not busy with singing work, and I can't help feeling like this job will start to take over more and more of my life and edge out the performing if I'm not careful.

I asked one of my close colleagues last week (also a soprano) "How do you keep going with this career when you are constantly getting rejected?"

And she gave a few insightful points:

1. The person left standing after all of the other constantly rejected give up is the one who will get the job.

2. If you have one or two significant steps forward in your career you can consider yourself progressing at a normal rate as an opera singer.


And my role in the Mikado is one of those 2 significant steps I have to take this year. It's just that not having anything lined up for the summer is a daunting prospect. Yes, it means that I will be more financially secure at the end of the summer. But not more secure in the career I WANT to have.

My friend's last point was that I am still young, and have a lot of time to grow and audition. Patience is not my strong suit, but I want the career bad enough that somehow I will develop it, if only to sing another day.

I tried to write this post to uplift myself, but didn't do a very good job. Oh well.

I'm not giving up yet.

1 comment:

  1. You are resiliant, talented and determined. You are right.. patience would help.
    I love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete