Sunday, January 13, 2013

Who knew a DMA degree would keep you busy?

Not just the degree itself, though I have a pretty hectic class schedule this semester:

-Faure art song literature
-Vocal pedagogy
-Faust through literature and music (this one's incredible for a lit nerd like me!)
-3rd year German, second semester
-Lessons
-Coachings

Then add into the mix the fact that I'm a grown-up now, and unlike undergraduate times, I actually have to work and pay rent and bills and taxes. You know, be a contributing member of society. I also have to build a work resume that reflects teaching abilities, so I can hopefully secure the job requiring the DMA degree. To accomplish this, I have the following 4 jobs:

-14 hour graduate assistantship (which thankfully covers tuition and most health care!)
-13 students, aged 9-adult, both privately and through 2 schools.
-soloist/soprano section leader at a church.
-soprano member of the Vocal Arts Ensemble, which has between 3 and 5 concerts per season. (Including one tonight!!! Very excited).

And, finally, the daunting task of keeping a performance career's momentum up despite the obstacles of school and jobs. Luckily, I'm beginning to find work as a soloist around the city. I've been asked to perform in several student's recitals this semester, as well as roles in local productions. And I MAY have some commercial work in my future....we'll see.

Basically, this is why I hardly blog anymore. Can you blame me?

1 comment:

  1. Hello, always i used to check web site posts here early in the break of day, for the reason that i enjoy to learn more and more.

    ReplyDelete