Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Professionalism

So, I've been putting together this chamber concert with my roommates for the holidays. We are doing the Christmas portion of Handel's Messiah, with 8 vocalists, 4 string players and 2 trumpets. It has truly been a group effort on all fronts, except that I am the one in charge of organizing the singers.

And it has been quite a trial! We had one rehearsal last Monday night which was sparsely attended, but was useful in working out breaths and dynamics for our music. But then I've been struggling to find a reliable singer for one of the voice parts.

I've tried to be as fair and patient as possible with all of these musicians. I know in the "real world" of opera that nobody is this patient. Decisions are made quickly, and singers are thrilled to find work in a professional company. Granted, this project and group are not professional, but we are trying to run the rehearsals and performances in as professional a manner as possible. It made me realize that I could never be on the casting side of things - I want to make everyone happy, and a casting director simply cannot do that.

As soon as this concert is over, I'm sticking with singing. Although the project promises to be a fun one!

On a happier note, my website is up and running...thanks Dad!

you can view it here:

www.samanthastein.com

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I thought that you were easy to work with. But I'm just a silly trumpet player. -T

    ReplyDelete