Monday, December 7, 2009

Jazz

Sometimes, with all the classical music learning, I forget that other genres are out there. Then I am happily reminded....as I was last Saturday night.

I was hired through my restaurant to bartend at a catering event. The event was a party at this enormous, gorgeous townhouse in the Gold Coast of Chicago. The hostess told my manager that they were expecting 50-60 people, and that a pianist was hired to come and play during the party. He informed her that I was a singer, and after the pianist arrived, she told me that I could sing if I wanted. As if she had to ask.

The pianist she hired was Matt Conway - he's a fairly well known jazz pianist in the Chicago area, playing at big-name jazz clubs like Andy's and the Green Mill. He was fantastic, and more than happy to have me sing with him.

So, instead of pouring drinks, I got to sing jazzy Christmas tunes for 2 hours! It was so much fun....I've enjoyed singing jazz since I dated a bassist in my undergrad years. Even though I haven't been formally trained as a jazz singer, I know many standards and am learning as I mature as a performer to follow my instincts, which helps when I need to scat or improvise during a piece.

A wonderful evening and adventure! So much fun.

1 comment: