Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Different Direction?

So, I'm at a bit of an impasse with my life at the moment...I have a couple of years to hang out waiting for my voice to finish developing enough for my career to start and I don't really want to hang out here.

Here, meaning the U.S.

Solution?

Move to Europe!

I've decided to au pair in Italy or France (probably France) after my October opera finishes. I think it will be good to really solidify one of the languages I've studied and have to sing in all the time, and see what life as an opera singer is like in a country where opera is an integral part of their history and still considered a popular art form.

I realize that this move will pose new challenges; the "game" of getting an opera career started is slightly different over there than here, but some things are the same: I will start by finding a teacher that I work well with and trust, and speak to several of my friends that have moved to Europe to try their hand at getting their careers started over there. I want to be careful to not lose the motivation and momentum I have gained this year simply by working hard, networking and seeking out any and every opportunity to sing.

At the very least, this should make for some interesting blog posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment