Friday, November 12, 2010

It's about time somebody wrote something in this thing.

When I set out to start this blog, I wanted to fill it with all the excitement and mishegos of singing. I think I have done a pretty good job of that. One of my rules is that I try to keep entries pretty positive while still being true to my life.

And now we come to the center of the maze of a young opera singer's career: Audition Season. Audition season is a very trying time in which you can send out applications for several dozen young artist and summer programs throughout the country (or, if you're super ambitious, the world) and then you wait to see if you've been granted an audition. Never mind being given a contract....sometimes companies give you the breakdown of apps received, auditions granted, and contracts offered, and the numbers are Staggering. You just take it one step at a time and hope for them to hear you...cuz you can't get hired if you don't audition.

Knowing all of this, I bravely forged ahead and sent out my 2 dozen or so apps...and I have to say, the return has been pretty good. Perhaps 2 out of 3 times, I've been granted an audition. Yay! Even with those high numbers though, it's difficult to deal with rejections. We all go through it, and are told over and over again to "develop a thick skin." The competition for opera nowadays is comparable with that of Broadway...opera is super cool, and everyone wants to do it (less people want to SEE it, but that's another post...) so I've developed some coping mechanisms ("I am not my voice...there is more to me than my voice...even though it's what I've been working on since I was 4 years old and I feel like I'm baring my soul every time I open my mouth"...ok maybe that one won't work so well) and am so grateful every time I get an opportunity to share my voice with another person.

So...5 auditions behind me, 12 or so ahead. Time to forge on! With a WONDERFUL thanksgiving beforehand.

1 comment:

  1. Go Sammi! I know it sucks to be constantly auditioning but you are a champion! I'm so happy I got to see you last weekend. And I just learned that I've been spelling Mishegos wrong in my head for like my entire life. Love you!

    ReplyDelete