Thursday, March 17, 2011

Artistic Satisfaction

One thing that singers are constantly asked in a conservatory setting is "why are you doing this? If you can think of anything in the world you'd rather be doing, go do that."

Every time that question/follow up statement was voiced, I responded confidently "I love singing! I love it here!"...but "here" at the time meant school.
I LOVED being in school for music. It had everything...research opportunities for your classes, recitaling, big roles in operas, and constant connection with colleagues.

Then school ended, and we were flung out into the real world. And the real world is HARD. I don't know why this should have been news to any of us, but it was. And many of the people I went to graduate school with are not performing on giant operatic stages at the moment. Myself included.

Which leaves me to wonder: what did I get my MM for? If the result of a conservatory degree is supposed to lead to a career in music, why are so many of us not there?
You might say "ah, but you're not there YET. You have to pay your dues, keep struggling, SUFFER FOR YOUR ART."
I've never been good at suffering. I LOVE my art. If I'm not doing something creative just about every minute of the day, I go to pieces. But "creative" doesn't always mean "singing." This morning I painted flower pots. I am in the middle of crocheting 2 blankets. And I've always enjoyed writing.
I've decided while I'm waiting and suffering and paying my dues, I'd like to see if one of my other creative passions can thrive as much as I hope my music will. I'm currently considering a dual career in music and writing/PR. ..I'd love a dual career in crochet and music, but the chances of making it at THOSE two are slim to nil.
I'm not looking at this decision as "giving up" on anything. I'm just looking for ways to continue satisfying myself as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment