Monday, March 28, 2011

Lee Hoiby

Today the Classical Music world lost a great man. Lee Hoiby, pianist and composer, aged 85, died after a short illness. His output was prolific and his fans are many. I personally have performed several of his works since I began studying seriously in 2003. One of his arias, from A Month in the Country, has been on my aria list for several years now. I performed another work of his, "Night Songs," on my Senior Recital at Purchase. I first heard those songs at a summer program in 2004, and I was blown away. His text painting and melodic line was brilliant. I had always thought that contemporary composers operated exclusively under the guise of "weird notes for the sake of weird notes" But here was someone who understood the connection between the singer and audience using melodic line. I ordered the music for them the next day, and was so excited to perform them a few years later.

It makes me especially sad to see Mr. Hoiby go because so many people in this world never even knew he existed. For those of us in the music field, it is a huge loss and I know myself and many of my colleagues are mourning him this evening. However, when I mention his name to someone not in the field, they have no idea who he was. It is a reminder that the field of Classical Music is literally dying out, and we must work to make sure that these composers are heard. I am an advocate of New music, because it is only through performing new works that composition remains an innovative, thriving form of creativity.

R.I.P. Mr. Hoiby.

No comments:

Post a Comment