Thursday, April 7, 2011

Getting Back to my Roots

I returned home to Cincinnati this week after almost 6 weeks away...3.5 of opera tour, 2 of nannying in Palm Beach. While I was in Florida, I was able to see a few relatives...my aunt, who spends her winters down in Boca, and her son, my cousin, who was visiting her. My cousin is 12 years older than me, so we were never that close growing up. He was a bigger version of my older brother...complete with teasing.

However, as I've gotten older and gone through college and my early 20's, I find that my cousin and I have more in common than I previously thought. I always felt kind of like the black sheep in my family...my dad and brother are computer geniuses and my mother works with disabled kids...so everyone has the smartest or most compassionate jobs, and then there's me. I have often wondered why I have certain traits...excessive energy, a penchant for going out to the clubs occasionally, a restlessness that no one else in my nuclear family seems to exhibit. My brother met his wife when he was 14. My parents are happy going out or staying in. Everybody is ridiculously responsible and content with their lives. This isn't to say I'm not content with my life, but I always felt that I should constantly be searching for something more. But this past weekend made me realize that my cousin and I are VERY much alike in these ways. We had a blast going out and enjoying the atmospheres that I so rarely find other singers or my family enjoy. It was a comfort to know that my energies come from SOMEWHERE genetically.

Now I just have to find a way to channel them into successful singing....

No comments:

Post a Comment