Tuesday, December 29, 2009

"Productivity" is a Relative Term

So, I feel as though I've had the laziest week EVER. Except for Xmas Eve/Day services, I didn't work...this wasn't by choice....the new company who hired me is a little slow with giving me jobs to do, so I'm hanging out until they give me more definite hours.

However, I finished my final application for school - the DMA program at Boston University. It was a bit more strenuous than the other applications - an essay, a complete repertoire list (...me trying to recall the composers that I studied 6 years ago in Italian Art Song Lit....), a resume, an employment resume ("real" jobs I've held), and a graduate recital program. But I did it! And got an audition. So I'll be home in Boston next month for a weekend. Mark your calendars!

I also have been scheduling more auditions. Being your own agent is hard. I personally go through spurts of productivity - contacting 5-10 theaters/opera companies in a day, or filling out and mailing a few applications. Then I wait. And wait. And there isn't much return. So I get frustrated and stop trying for a couple days, then get mad at myself for being lazy, and the whole cycle starts all over again.

I hope I get back into school. I'm really good at school. At least getting these 3 school auditions (North Carolina School of the Arts, Indiana, and BU) are forcing me to practice daily and get my repertoire in good shape for the next month. I also am working on one of Jon's song cycles to record, I have the Opera Playhouse outreach tour at the beginning of February, and an art song recital at the end of February. So busy-ness will pick up again. I should learn to enjoy the down time.

Hope everyone has something fun planned for New Years!

No comments:

Post a Comment