Tuesday, June 22, 2010

French Overload

After a wonderful weekend in NYC, I'm back in Chicago and getting ready for opera scenes this weekend..we have the lovely and talented Amy Hutchison directing our scenes, and I'm learning an incredible amount. Most importantly, how to memorize about 50 pages in FRENCH in a very short period of time. I'm in 3 scenes - Act I of Manon, the card trio of Carmen, and the Lakme duet. 3 scenes from roughly the same Romantic - to- Impressionist period of French Music, which makes for a LOT of mixing up words. I'm trying to focus on the emotions and individual characteristics of each scene, and figure out "what am I SAYING (both actual text and subtext) in order to differentiate one scene from the next.

Expediting a learning process is not something I'm fond of, but it's an important skill to have, and this program is definitely a good teaching tool for learning music quickly and thoroughly.

All details for this weekend's performance, as well as the next few weeks of concerts, can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment